And it feels like a lot of folks are doing the same thing these days. I'm not sure what's the main reason driving everyone else, but here are my thoughts about why I'm doing it.
Let's get something out of the way first: I love Android. I've owned 3 iPhones (3GS, 4S, and 5) and 4 Android phones (Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One GPE, and Nexus 5), so I kind of like both worlds.
How did I get here
With a Nexus 5 in my hands, I've been waiting very excited for the upcoming Nexus 6 (or Nexus X, or whatever) for a long time, but at this point is all rumors and nobody appears to have a definitive list of specifications. Heck, it's not even a fact that there's going to be another Nexus at all. And unfortunately for me, that's my only option for Android; it's either Nexus (stock Android experience) or nothing. I hate every single skin and bloatware that OEMs and carriers throw on top of the operating system, so there's no way I can be happy with something different.
That pretty much reduces my choices to those mighty Nexus devices that Google likes to sell every year, but with the entire Nexus program going away, I'm not holding my breath for the future.
(Rumors are that a program called "Android Silver" will take Nexus' place, but apparently this program is a new name for the existing Google Play Edition devices, which has its own problems that I don't like.)
So with all this time on my hands while waiting to read something concrete about the new Nexus, I started to speculate about the soon-to-be replacement for my current phone. And honestly, I couldn't convince myself that it was going to be better than the just-released iPhone 6 Plus.
Here you have in order of preference the reasons I'm switching and my predictions and thoughts about the upcoming Nexus device.
Is there going to be a Nexus 6 at all?
Nobody outside Google knows for sure, and it will be a bummer to wait all this time just to find myself in Christmas still with a broken (yes, my screen's cracked) Nexus 5.
The bad news here is that there's no specific day when you are going to realize "Oh no! There's no Nexus 6!". You can be very well waiting forever. Either a Google executive goes on record to say there's no Nexus, or the waiting period will be very very long.
However, despite of not being sure, I'm confident a new Google phone is coming alongside the Android L release later this year. I'd guess there's 90% chance of this happening. It's just that I'm very afraid of the other 10%.
I like big screens.
30 seconds after trying the LG G3 5.5" display I was in love (but LG's skin pushes me away.) The iPhone 6 Plus has an amazing 5.5" screen as well, with a 1080x1920 resolution and a density of 401ppi. Certainly not quite as stunning as the 1440x2560 resolution with 534ppi of the LG G3, but I'm not convinced that my eyes will see the difference anyway.
Rumors are that the Nexus 6 will feature either a 5.2" or a 5.9" display. Some people say it will be Quad HD (like the G3), some say it will be HD (like the iPhone 6 Plus). Let's see what these options mean for me:
- 5.2": My preferred option. I'd rather do 5.5", but never 5.9", so 5.2" is the best compromise.
- 5.9": Too big for my taste. It would have to be super slim and barely have any bezel for this to be a manageable phone.
- HD resolution: Definitively my choice if we are talking about the 5.2" display. Quad HD is too power hungry for such a small phone.
- Quad HD resolution: Only if it's the 5.9" display, although I still have my doubts.
So putting 2 and 2 together, you'd see that even if the Nexus 6 has a 5.2" HD display I would be compromising comparing to the iPhone's 5.5". Any other combination and I'd be unhappy.
The new iPhone's battery life is the best I've heard of. Of course, with such a big enclosure Apple managed to pack a lot more juice into the device, resulting in a phone that lasts for two full days of normal usage for most tech-avid reviewers. I'm a phone junkie, and I'm ready to take all the battery life I can get.
What to expect for the Nexus 6? Well, right now the best battery out there that I've heard of is the LG G3's 3000 mAh. Reviewers say that the G3's battery life is not as great as the iPhone's (the Quad HD display is not helping here), so we can easily form a picture for the Nexus 6:
- 5.2" + HD + 3000 mAh: This is the best combination and one that probably would be competitive to the iPhone's battery life. The phone will have to have a bigger enclosure (more noticeable bezels) to pack such a big battery, but I think it's a good trade off.
- 5.2" + Quad HD + 3000 mAh: I don't think battery life in this combination would be competitive with the iPhone, although it would be better than the G3 for sure.
- 5.5" + HD + 3000 mAh: Not as good as the first option, but still better than the G3.
- 5.5" + Quad HD + 3000 mAh: Here you get what the LG G3 is offering today. Good, but not quite as good.
5.2" HD is again my winner, although this is assuming that we are going to be seeing a 3000 mAh battery. Anything less than that, and people will have to spend another year suffering with their phones dying at 5pm (like I am right now). I honestly think there's a 20% chance that the Nexus 6 will feature a 3000 mAh battery, and 80% that it will be something less powerful, like 2700 mAh, so my options aren't looking good here either.
Yeah, this seems stupid but I like Verizon for their LTE coverage. I'm on T-Mobile right now, and although their LTE is faster, the coverage is not even close to Verizon's.
This hasn't been a huge problem for me, but I've noticed it enough times that I'd rather go with Verizon. I know I'll pay more, but I made peace with that already.
The Nexus 6 will never work with Verizon (Verizon's fault probably). It will be T-Mobile and AT&T only as always, so this would be another point were I'd be compromising.
If it's not the best, I'm pretty sure the iPhone 6 Plus has one of the Top 2 cameras in a cell phone out there. I can't name one phone right now that triumphs Apple's in this category (and doesn't suck in another 100 ways.) Love it or hate it, the iPhone is a camera that makes phone calls, and not the other way around.
The Nexus line has been famous for mediocre cameras. Rumors say that the new one might have a 13MP shooter (which will be a jump from the current 8MP on the Nexus 5), but we'll have to wait for the software accompanying that to draw any conclusions. That being said, I really think there's 0% chance that the camera will best the iPhone's.
The iPhone has one. I want one. It's convenient and powerful (I'm salivating here thinking about authenticating in apps using it instead of typing passwords.) It's been out for a year and people love it.
The Nexus? I'd give it 5% chance of the new phone featuring one, but even if it does, we'd have to wait for the software to catch up with Apple's. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'd cross this one from your list.
This is the final big reason I'm jumping the ship. Nobody has tested this yet outside Apple (it's going to hit the public next month) but Apple made it look extremely appealing during their presentation.
And of course they did, but I trust them. You know Apple; they execute this type of things extremely well, and I believe it's going to be a huge hit (even credit cards companies and banks are on board!)
I loved the idea of Google Wallet, but the experience is actually worse than paying with a regular credit card. No point of using it, so I'm not.
Other less-important things
Continuity, VoLTE, AirPlay, build quality, compatibility with my Bose Q15 headphones, exclusive applications, and I still have access to all the Google apps that I love (Maps, Gmail, Google Now, and Google+.)
What I'm going to miss
Android, Android L, Google's seamless integration everywhere, "Ok Google, how old is Angelina Jolie", and a pocketable-sized phone.
I'm really looking forward to get my new device. I know I'm going to love it, and maybe in a couple of years I'll go back to Android. Will see. It's happened before.